Bengaluru’s heritage lamp post. The city’s first streetlight – a 30ft tall cast-iron pole with a cluster of four lights.
On the evening of August 5, 1905, it had blazed to life at the flick of a switch by Sir John Hewett of the Viceroys’ Council – inspiring awe among the townsfolk, when the rest of India was lit up by oil lamps.
Bengaluru became the first city in India – and even Asia – to have hydropower flowing in through transmission lines drawn from the Shivanasamudra plant in Mandya district, 91km away.
Currently, stands forlorn in the BBMP head office premises at NR Square. No one knows it once was the city’s glory, standing in front of present-day KR Market.
Source: times of india