Sas-Bahu ka mandir, or Sahastrabahu Temple, is located to the east of Gwalior Fort. Built in 1092 by King Mahipala of the Kachchhapaghata (Kachchhwaha) dynasty, this temple is one of the greatest architectural marvels situated by Gwalior Fort. It is 32 metres long and 22 metres at its breadth. This temple mainly has three entrances from three different directions. In the fourth direction, there is a room which is currently closed.
It was named SahastraBahu, depicting Lord Vishnu with a thousand hands . Lord Vishnu was worshiped by the wife of Kachchhapaghata’s king, but when his son’s wife came, she became a devotee of Lord Shiva. Thus, another temple beside Vishnu temple was built, where Lord Shiva was worshiped by the wife of the king’s son. Collectively, these two temples were named ‘Sas-Bahu temple’, meaning the daughter-in-law and mother-in-law’s temple.